Everyone wants to have a beautifully smooth face because it is the mirror of our health. You can always tell by its appearance whether a person has problems in the body and what kind of lifestyle he leads. In order to keep your face young and beautiful for a long time, you need to take care of it systematically. For quality and proper care, you need to know exactly what type of skin you have. After all, each of them has its own characteristics that must be considered in the choice of cosmetics.
There are four basic types:
Not so long ago, beauticians began to allocate another type – sensitive.
It is characterized by extreme dryness because sebaceous glands do not work properly and produce little subcutaneous fat. Such skin reacts severely to heat and cold, is very thin, and is prone to allergies. Most often occurs in the owners of red hair and natural blondes.
Characteristics of oily facial skin
It is rough, has a thick layer, and is constantly shiny and glistening with grease. This is due to the increased work of the sebaceous glands. Excessive grease causes the pores to dilate, trapping dust and dirt and causing congestion. Oxygen is difficult to enter the epidermal cells, so they begin to work worse and quickly die off. On such skin often appears blackheads and inflammation.
The oily epidermis has several advantages:
- With regard to its density, it is not too sensitive
- Subcutaneous fat envelopes the face a thin layer
- It helps retain moisture in the cells longer and reduces the penetration of harmful bacteria.
These factors contribute to the fact that women with oily skin age more slowly and wrinkles appear less often.
Causes of occurrence:
Some people believe that the face gets greasier from a lack of hygiene. This is far from the case. The reasons are much more serious and they must be found out to restore normal fat balance. The main causes may be:
- Unsustainable diet;
- A tendency to eat fatty, salty foods, muffins, and sugary sodas harm the epidermis;
- If so, a diet and a balanced diet would help;
- Excessive use of alcohol-based lotions, which induce the skin to actively produce a protective fatty film;
- Frequent exfoliation can cause irritation and minor injuries, which provoke excessive sebum;
- Use of inappropriate cosmetic products that clog pores;
- Taking certain medications can negatively affect the skin and lead to its oily appearance;
- Stress and chronic fatigue;
- Nervousness increases the production of testosterone, which affects the sebaceous glands, making them work harder;
- Hormonal imbalances.
In this case, an experienced endocrinologist can help.
Characteristics of dry facial skin
At a young age, it doesn’t cause problems. It never shines, it has no blackheads or pimples. But the older she gets, the worse her epidermis becomes. Already by the age of 25, the first grid of wrinkles appears, the face after the shower is often tight. In the winter is haunted by constant peeling and itching caused by wind and frost.
Characteristics of dry skin:
- It is light pink in color, matte and rough to the touch;
- The piers are narrowed. They are hardly noticeable;
- In winter, it begins to peel from frost;
- It becomes constricted after contact with water.
With the right cosmetic products, dryness of the face can be significantly reduced and with time it will regain its healthy state.
Causes of occurrence:
Heredity. If inadequate hydration is passed on from your ancestors, all that remains is to carefully care for the face and maintain its water balance. Environment. Skin can become dry in an unsuitable climate.
In that case, it is necessary to protect it as much as possible from weather conditions. And, going outdoors, use special creams to protect the skin. Soap or improperly selected cosmetics may also provoke dryness. Certain diseases of the body.
If you find yourself with dry skin, drink plenty of fluids and avoid washing your face with water. Chamomile decoction would be better for this purpose.
Characteristics of combination skin
This type is the most common. Its main characteristic is heterogeneity:
- It is very dry around the eyes and on the cheeks;
- Continuously greasy on the chin, forehead, and nose.
This epidermis requires meticulous care. All peculiarities of its structure must be taken into account. Indeed, the nose pores are often dilated, there may be pimples and acne. On the contrary, the cheeks can be peeling, the skin around the eyes is usually tight. For quality care, you need to choose the right cosmetics, so as not to harm these different areas.
Causes of occurrence:
Combined skin occurs in many adolescents. With age, its condition changes, and it may become dry or normal. The main causes are that the sebaceous glands produce sebum unevenly. In some places, it happens more, in others less.
Usually, it is due to these factors:
- Hormonal changes in pregnancy or puberty;
- Malnutrition and unhealthy habits;
- Use of poor-quality cosmetics, improper facial care.
Perfect results can be obtained with the proper care of combination skin. Restore its normal balance and slow down aging.
Features of normal facial skin
Normal skin is often seen in children and young girls. Their faces immediately catch the eye due to their incredible softness and tenderness.
Their skin is clean, matte, and of a pink tint. It looks so because of good blood circulation. The cells receive a proper amount of nutrients and do not lack oxygen. The main distinguishing feature of normal skin is its firmness and elasticity.
It never causes problems. It feels great in the heat and in the cold, it does not dry after washing with soap. It has no roughness, pimples, and acne. But if you neglect constant care, gradually the epidermis can deteriorate. It can become dry or oily.
How to spot your skin type
It doesn’t have to be done in a salon by a beautician. If you follow all the recommendations exactly, it can also be determined at home:
- First of all, wash your face and do not use any alcohol-based lotions. Wait a few hours and look closely in the mirror.
- Consider the texture, color, and pores.
- When you can’t judge your type by eye, take a thin sheet of paper and place it on your forehead, cheeks, and nose.
- If it stays crystal clear, your sebaceous glands are weak and your skin is prone to dryness
- Small spots on the paper, the skin balance is fine and this indicates a normal epidermis.
- If the sheet is saturated with grease, it means the skin is producing too much subcutaneous sebum, indicating it is oily.
There are also some simple ways you can use from the comfort of your own home:
Press your finger on your face around your cheek. If the red mark stays long, the skin lacks elasticity and is dry. Take a pencil and run it across your face. If a bright mark appears, the skin is sensitive. Wash your face with soap and water. If it feels tight, your face is prone to dryness.
Knowing your skin type is essential in order to choose an effective facial care complex. It will help keep your face healthy and youthful for a long time.