In life, almost every woman has faced such a problem as dandruff. Dandruff is the dead scales on the scalp. Scales appear as a result of intense peeling. The fungus Malassezia furfur is to blame.
Everyone has these fungi. But as soon as the intense production of fat begins, for whatever reason, the number of fungi increases. Symptoms such as itching, irritation, and dandruff appear. Dandruff is not contagious, it makes the wearer uncomfortable, and spoils the appearance.
Dandruff is distributed all over the head or concentrated in the frontal, or parietal area. Dandruff flakes close the access of air, nutrients to the bulb. As a result, the hair becomes brittle, dry, and falls out intensively.
Different types of scalp dandruff
Appears when there is an intense production of sebum. They are large scales that lie densely on the hair. Scalp itchy.
It forms when the scalp is too dry. It’s sort of not dandruff. And pieces of dry skin that easily fall on the shoulders, it does not stay on the hair.
The scales are gray or yellowish in color. A very strong itching sensation is felt.
Causes of dandruff
- Vitamin deficiencies
- Impaired metabolism
- Deteriorating environmental conditions
- Hormone treatment
- Nervous system malfunction
- Thyroid problems
- Digestive system problems
- Immune system slackening
- Increased dryness of the skin
- Hormonal imbalance
- Wrong hair care products
- Fungal infections
- Frequent hair dyeing
How to prevent dandruff
- Try to include more healthy foods in your diet. Avoid fried foods, less sugar, and salty foods. Reduce alcohol and carbonated drinks.
- Drink enough water.
- Avoid stressful and nervous situations. Get enough sleep.
- Use only your own combs and pins.
- Choose a shampoo, according to the type of scalp.
- Frequent changes in shampoo can also provoke dandruff.
Dandruff is mainly due to improper care and personal hygiene. But sometimes this condition can be caused by disease.
If you have a very greasy head, a lot of dandruff, itching, then visit the doctor trichologist. He will examine your scalp under a microscope. It is possible that you will need further advice from an endocrinologist, gastroenterologist, allergist, or psychotherapist. If the dandruff is not significant, you can manage it on your own.
Dandruff: what vitamins are missing
- Vitamin A-retinol. A vitamin that has a regenerating property. It also controls the secretory glands. If there is a lack of this vitamin, there is peeling and hair loss.
- Riboflavin-B2. This vitamin is involved in the regulation of immune processes. Problems such as deterioration of the nails, skin, weakened hair may indicate a lack of this vitamin.
- Pyridoxine-B6 has an influence on metabolism in the body. Vitamin B6 also keeps skin cells properly hydrated. In most cases, the lack of this vitamin drowns out the scalp. Dandruff is the consequence.
- Inositol B8. Its deficiency leads to hair loss, hair becomes dry and brittle. It is best absorbed with vitamin E.
- Chianocobalamin -B12, thiamine – B1. This vitamin is very important for the body. If it is deficient, you will feel rapid fatigue, brittle nails, rashes, and dry skin, hair loss, dandruff. This vitamin can be added to masks, balms, hair sprays.
- Methionine is an amino acid that participates in many metabolic processes of the body. It has a strong antioxidant effect. It participates in the regulation of sebaceous glands. Protects the hair against UV rays.
- Nicotinic acid-B3. Melanin determines the color of hair, eyes, and skin. If there is a deficiency of this acid, graying may appear early, the skin is covered with wrinkles, dryness of the scalp and face.
- Pantothenic acid-B5. This acid is involved in virtually all processes of the body. It regulates skin cell renewal, improves skin circulation. Activates hair growth, reduces hair loss. It reduces the risk of dandruff.
- Folic Acid – B9 This acid is essential for the female body. B9 is involved in the endocrine system. If there is a lack of folic acid, there is a failure in the hormonal balance. The condition of the hair deteriorates. Dandruff may appear.
- Tocopherol-E.The lack of this vitamin leads to dry skin and its flaking. Dandruff and an itchy scalp may result.
- Vitamin F.A deficiency of this fat-soluble vitamin causes abundant dandruff, rashes on the face, overweight. Allergic reactions.
- Biotin-B7. Regulates the flow of sulfur in the cells. Prevents gray hair, dandruff, regulates the oiliness of the scalp. Accelerates hair growth.
Shampoos against dandruff (therapeutic)
- Fat Dandruff Shampoos are used when the scalp is greasy. They help fight the condition and stop hair loss.
- Dry Dandruff Shampoos are therapeutic products with anti-fungal, moisturizing properties.
- Preventive anti-dandruff shampoos – You can buy these products not only at the drugstore but also at the mass market.
The main ingredients in these shampoos are ketoconazole, zinc, tar, salicylic acid, climbazole, vitamins, plant extracts.
When shampooing your scalp, do not rush to wash it off. Massage your head for 2-3 minutes before rinsing it.
Shampoos that contain salicylic acid and sulfur
With these ingredients, shampoo cleanses the scalp from dandruff, in addition, is the prevention of fungal infection.
Salicylic acid relieves inflammation, opens clogged pores. Stops the growth of bacteria.
Sulfur – handles scalp infections and also stops the growth of fungi.
With this composition of these shampoos: Fitosilk, Cebulex, Freederm with zinc, Fostex.
Ketoconazole is a substance that is excellent against fungal diseases that cause dandruff. These shampoos are slowly rubbed into the scalp for the effects of ketoconazole.
Shampoos with this substance are Nezo-Pham, Nizoral, Micanisal, Keto Plus.
Shampoos with selenium sulfide
The substance selenium sulfide is effective against the scalp fungus that causes dandruff. This shampoo can be used twice a week.
It is not recommended to use it if you have colored hair. Selenium sulfide can discolor hair.
An example of such shampoo: Sulsena.
Native remedies for dandruff
If you have dry dandruff, an egg mask might work for you.
Mix two egg yolks with 1 teaspoon of burdock oil, add the juice of half a lemon. Apply to the scalp. Wear plastic wrap on top. And on top of a towel. Leave the mask for 1 hour. After rinsing.
Therapeutic herbal decoctions
- Decoction of burdock root
Pour two tablespoons of roots with a glass of water. Boil for 10 minutes. Cool. Rub the decoction into the scalp. Make the procedure two times a week.
- Nettle Decoction
Pour 250g of nettles into 1.5 liters of water. Boil on a water bath for 20-25 minutes. Insist 5 hours. Such decoction rinses your head after each wash.
- Decoction of tansy
Pour 100g of flowers of tansy in 3 liters of water. Boil for 10 minutes. Leave to infuse for the night. Then strain. Warm-up. Before washing your head rinse for 5 minutes.
For oily dandruff, try rubbing the following solution into your scalp. The juice of half a lemon is mixed with ¼ cup of water. After such a procedure, shampoo your head after 10 minutes. Such a procedure is enough to carry out once a week.
Very good for any kind of dandruff is apple cider vinegar.
- To do this, take 4 tbsp. of vinegar and mix it with a glass of warm water. After washing, rinse your hair with this solution. Rinse with water and dry it.
- You can also take pure 6% apple cider vinegar, and rub it into the scalp for 15 minutes. Rinse with water. Afterward, wash your hair as usual.
- Mix 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar with 1 cup of warm water and add 2-4 tbsp. decoction of chamomile or mint. The mixture is applied to the scalp. Cover with a plastic cap. Warm the head for three minutes with a hairdryer. Leave the mask for 30 minutes. Rinse the hair in the usual way. Do such a mask twice a week for 2 months.